icon-star account icon bag icon arrow down arrow left arrow left search icon menu icon video icon wishlist icon Visa Mastercard American-express Discover Paypal Apple Pay giftcard Email Facebook Flickr Google Plus Instagram Kickstarter LinkedIn Medium Pinterest Print Rdio Reddit RSS Spotify StumbleUpon Tumblr Twitter Vimeo Vine YouTube Plus Minus

Why Does My Jewelry Turn My Skin Green or Black? | Coyote Moon Crystals and Gifts

As you browse through beautiful jewelry pieces, you may have noticed some metals causing your skin to turn a strange shade of green or even black. It’s a common occurrence that can be quite frustrating, especially if you’ve invested in a new piece only to find out it stains your skin after wearing it for the first time. But fear not, this is not an indication of poor quality or harmful material used in making the jewelry. In fact, there are scientific explanations behind why certain metals react with our skin and how we can prevent it from happening. In this blog post, we’ll dive into the world of metal alloys and explore why sterling silver and other metals can leave discoloration on our skin and what steps we can take to avoid it.

Jewelry is a remarkable accessory that can enhance any outfit and make a unique statement. However, it's not uncommon to notice certain jewelry pieces, especially those crafted from metals like sterling silver, copper, or bronze, causing skin discoloration. This can result in green or black stains on the skin due to a reaction between the metal and the acidity level of our skin.

When these metals oxidize, they produce a layer of tarnish, which is the culprit behind the green or black stain. While this doesn't occur for everyone, it's crucial to understand that factors like high humidity, sweat, and lotions can speed up this process. Although it may be frustrating, it's important to remember that this is a natural attribute of these metals and does not imply a reduction in the quality of the jewelry.

For those who appreciate sterling silver jewelry, you may have encountered a greenish hue on your skin after wearing your favorite pieces. This is a common occurrence, not directly caused by the sterling silver, but by the other metals alloyed with it to enhance strength and durability. Sterling silver typically comprises approximately 92.5% pure silver, with the remaining 7.5% made up of copper or other metals. It's specifically the copper that reacts with the acids in your skin or the environment, resulting in the greenish tint. Fortunately, this effect is harmless and can be easily washed off with soap and water.

When it comes to wearing jewelry, nothing can be more disconcerting than finding your skin has turned green or black after donning a beautiful piece of sterling silver or other metal jewelry. But there's no cause for panic. Several facts and tips can help maintain your skin's natural radiance.

Firstly, the discoloration is a harmless reaction between your skin's pH and the metal. To avoid this, consider applying a protective coating, such as clear nail polish, on the skin areas in contact with the metal. Alternatively, you can invest in higher quality metals like 14k gold, which are less likely to cause a reaction.

Lastly, remember to remove your jewelry when showering or swimming to avoid any chemical or moisture buildup that could lead to discoloration. By keeping these tips in mind, you can enjoy wearing your favorite jewelry pieces while maintaining your skin's health and glow.

In conclusion, understanding why certain metals may cause your skin to turn green or black is not only important for avoiding any unwanted discoloration, but also for choosing the right jewelry or accessories for yourself. Whether it's due to the metal's chemical reaction with your skin's pH level or its metal content, being aware of this phenomenon can save you from potential discomfort and embarrassment. However, don't let this deter you from wearing your favorite pieces! With proper care and maintenance, along with a quick wipe down with soap and water after each wear, you can prevent any unwanted reactions and enjoy your jewelry without worry. So next time you find yourself reaching for that necklace or bracelet that may have caused some discoloration in the past, remember that sometimes all it takes is a little cleaning to keep your skin looking its best. Take care of your skin and jewelry, and they'll take care of you. Thank you for joining us on this journey into understanding why certain metals may turn our skin green or black. Here's to keeping our skin happy and healthy as we adorn ourselves in beautiful pieces. Don't forget - sometimes just a little soap and water is all it takes!